Tuesday, August 20, 2013

LDS Hospital Nurses

I do not have much experience with nurses caring for myself besides during child birth.  With my first I remember one nurse who was there with me during labor and she was great and came to see me during my stay.  Other than that nurse, no other nurse stood out to be during my stay with both Michael and Addison.  They were still great and took care of me but I did not feel a connection to them.  With Elizabeth it was very different.  The nurses were all so wonderful and compassionate.  I have heard of some nurses not being compassionate and not treating you well during your stay but I did not get one of those nurses.  From the time we were checked into the hospital we had a great nurse.  She came in and said she had read through our birth plan and explained everything to us.  She still double checked on what we wanted even though she had our birth plan.  She was very compassionate and took very good care of me.  She monitored us (Elizabeth and myself) very closely and would come talk to us about everything she was seeing (good and bad).  It was her dedication to us that saved my baby girl and possibly myself.  When Elizabeth was born the nurses were great too.  Although, they told us there was nothing they could do to save her, they were respecting what we had asked them to do for her.  As she improved they were right there to take special care or her.  As we moved into the post partum they gave us a room that was secluded from others so we weren't surrounded by others. The nurses once again were great with my care and Elizabeth's.  They continued to respect us and our wishes and did as we asked.  One night the nurse for myself and Elizabeth could tell that we were extremely tired because Jake and myself had not slept because we didn't want to miss any time with our sweet daughter.  These two nurses offered to stay in our room and hold her and rock her.  They said they would wake us if anything changed.  We agreed and it was nice to get a little rest knowing she was being taken care of by the best. When they offered I didn't feel it was because they had to, I felt that they really wanted to care for my sweet daughter. I felt so amazed at their compassion and they also grieved with us when things were starting to turn.  Their were so many amazing nurses who cared for us during our three day stay. Words do not say enough for how grateful I am for those nurses. I found this saying on facebook after one of them posted it and I feel it is true more now than I ever have before.  I hope to never take for granted those who care for us in our time of need.
About NURSES: Somebody asked: "You're a nurse? That's cool, I wanted to do that when I was a kid. How much do you make?" The nurse replied: "HOW MUCH DO I MAKE?" ... I can make holding your hand seem like the most important thing in the world when you're scared. ... I can make your child breathe when they stop. ... I can help your father survive a heart attack. ... I can make myself get up at 5 a.m. to make sure your mother has the medicine she needs to live. ... I work all day to save the lives of strangers. ... I make my family wait for dinner until I know your family member is taken care of. ... I make myself skip lunch so that I can make sure that everything I did for your wife today is charted. ... I make myself work weekends and holidays because people don't just get sick Monday thru Friday. ... Today, I might save your life. ... How much do I make? All I know is, I make a difference. Re-post not only if you are a nurse or you love a nurse, but most importantly, re-post this if you respect their work.

No comments:

Post a Comment